Sunday, October 24, 2010

Blade Kitten

An action platformer apparently based off a webcomic. I haven't read it so all I can tell you about is the game. It's gotten a lot of mixed reviews, and really I couldn't tell you why. It's pretty good.

Not perfect though. Biggest problem is the price: $15 when it first came out for a short, 13 level game. One of the achievements is for beating the game in under 90 minutes, so.

Good things: The gameplay is fun. It controls well, mostly. You can climb most walls, but it can be tricky getting to stick to them. Your weapon is a floating sword that can attack at close or far distance. The art style and setting are great. There's also lot of hidden treasures around, but they don't really do anything besides add money.

Bad things: The aformentioned shortness and price point, for starters. Also, the game's too easy. There's not much variety in enemies and I have yet to run into any bosses, but I'm only through stage 3 so far, so....

Also it's based on a comic, something I didn't know before buying it :P I dunno if reading the comic helps you understand the setting a bit more.

Money is pretty much worthless. You can use it to buy upgrades to your max health or stamina (used for sprinting or ranged attacks), costumes and additional swords. The costumes do nothing but change your appearance, and most of them look pretty dumb. There's only four swords, each with different strengths and weaknesses. Bizarrely, the starting one is probably also the best since it's the most balanced.

The game boasts voice work by professional VAs, none of whom I've heard of. The problem is that the voice work isn't very good :P It's not abysmal, but it's not going to win the first Oscar for video games either.

Overall: Not worth $15. But if the price drops a bit, I'd say it'd be worth a look (it was on sale for $9 on Steam a little while ago). It's also good enough that if there was a sequel, I'd probably get it.

2 comments:

J-AWS said...

Is the demo a good indicator of how the game is for the "long" run (relatively speaking)? I know the XBox version of the game will be on sale at the beginning of November and I'm going back and forth on buying it. It was fun enough in the demo, but even at $7.50 I'm going back and forth.

I don't doubt that Steam will have it on sale in the Christmas sale, though... maybe even one of the daily deals if we're lucky.

Kauna said...

I... haven't played the demo. But my guess is probably; gameplay doesn't change too much from level to level. Dunno if there are other features not available in the demo though.