Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Star Trek

I've never been a huge Star Trek fan, but I've always liked the series. I've never seen the original episodes, only the movies, but I saw most of TNG and Deep Space Nine. I didn't like Voyager, and didn't even see Enterprise.

For the movies, I've seen most if not all of them. I find that they tend to be on opposite ends of the spectrum: either they're really good or really bad. Sadly, I think more were bad than good.

Luckily, the new Star Trek movie falls in the really good category. I thought the acting was amazing, which is something I didn't expect from a Star Trek movie (come on, those old ones were so cheesy).

One thing I liked was that both Spocks were excellent. Nimoy's still got it, but Zachary Quinto did a great job too. It's interesting, because Nimoy kind of defines Spock. It's really hard to imagine anyone else doing the role, but some how Quinto was able to pull it off. That's awesome.

Other things I liked: They didn't add any new major characters. All of the important people on the Enterprise are the same as the ones from the original series. That's pretty cool; you wouldn't usually see that in a reboot of a series (i.e. Battlestar Galactica. Great show, but it really barely resembles the original).

Anyhow, this is the best movie I've seen in a good while. Most people seem to agree except, oddly enough, hardcore trekkies. I could talk about that, but I don't really want to spoil the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Seriously, you should go see it. Go now. Go go go!

No comments: