Sunday, April 11, 2010

Knights In History and Legend

A good book I read recently, Knights in History and Legend by Constance Brittain Bouchard is a wealth of information on the chivalrous medieval warriors that to this day are popular.

The book covers a huge variety of information, starting with an overview, such as how one became a knight, what knights were like in their every day lives, how they were expected to act, their equipment and how it was produced, tournaments, castles, battle tactics, etc. Then it discusses knights historically: how they came to power, famous knights and famous battles. Then it discusses legendary knights like Arthur and Ivanhoe, before wrapping up with knights in pop culture.

Yes, the book even includes D&D, Jedis, Batman, Monty Python and video game references. When I said "a wealth of information", I wasn't kidding.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the medieval period.

1 comment:

J-AWS said...

Added to my To Read pile