Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Undergarden

So currently Steam is having an event where every day they come up with four objectives. For every objective you complete, you get entered in a raffle to win 100 games of your choosing. Do one, get entered once. Do all four, get entered four times. The objectives often consist of playing certain games and earning certain achievements, meaning if you don't already own these games you've got to buy them if you want the extra chances. Personally I'd just as soon not bother. I'm only completing objectives I can do for free.

Which brings me to the topic of today's post, where one objective is to play the demo (or actual game) of the Undergarden.

I'll be frank. This game is not fun. It uses Aquaria's underwater style of gameplay with a physics engine. But where Aquaria was a decent if repetitive action game, the Undergarden is a puzzle game. And I mean "puzzle" in the loosest sense of the word.

Gameplay revolves around taking your fish-bee-man-thing to collect pollen so you can grow fruit, so you can toss the fruit onto a pressure plate and open a path to the next area, where you can do it all again. It's kinda like Solar Jetman, but without stuff trying to shoot you while you carry crap.

And that's pretty much it. If your fascinated by underwater physics, that's about all this game has going for it. I guess it could be appealing if you're looking for a family friendly game for your kids.... but no. There's family friendly games that are still fun to play out there, so don't bother with this.

In case anyone's wondering, the full game's normal price is $9.99. Presently, it's on sale for $4.99. Don't waste your money.

No comments: